Wednesday, May 21, 2008, Smolarz Auditorium
Conference will be held in English With Hebrew translation
9:30 - 10:00 Welcome Session
US Ambassador to Israel, Ambassador Richard H. Jones
Chairman of the Board of Governors, TAU, Mr. Robert Goldberg
- Mike Dagan, Editor in Chief, The Marker Magazine
- Arnold J. Goldman, Chairman: BrightSource Energy, Inc., USA / LUZ II Ltd., Israel: "Creating A New Energy Culture"
10:00 - 11:30 Global Warming and Geopolitics: Instability or Peace?
Chair: Prof. Hagit Messer-Yaron, Vice President for Research and Development, TAU
- Dr. Israel Klabin, President, Brazilian Foundation for Sustainable Development: "Global Warming and Geopolitics"
- Prof. Dan Rabinowitz, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Gershon H. Gordon Faculty of Social Sciences: "The Middle East's Climate Crisis: Geopolitical Chances and Opportunities"
- Prof. Michael B. McElroy, Gilbert Butler Professor of Environmental Studies, Harvard University: "Options for a Low Carbon World"
11:30 - 11:45 Break
11:45 - 13:15 Sustainable Energy: Opportunities in the Business Sector
Chair: Prof. Yehuda Kahane, Head, Akirov - ALROV Institute of Business and the Environment, TAU
- Dr. Michael Idelchik, Vice President of Advanced Technologies for General Electric Research: "Sustainable Energy: Technologies for the Future"
- Mr. Avi Brenmiller, President and CEO, Solel Solar Systems Ltd: "Encouraging Green Power: Cooperation between the Private Sector and Government"
- Mr. Luis Alberto Moreno, President, Inter-American Development Bank: "Renewable Energy in Latin American Countries: Opportunities and Challenges"
13:30 - 14:30 Lunch break
14:30 -16:30 Renewable Energy: Research and Development Challenges
Chair: Prof. Yehuda Benayahu, Head, Porter School of Environmental Studies, TAU
- Prof. D. Yogi Goswami, John and Naida Ramil Professor of Chemical Engineering, Co-Director, Clean Energy Research Center, University of South Florida: "New and Emerging Solar Energy Technologies - Challenges and Opportunities"
- Prof. Avi Kribus, School of Mechanical Engineering, Iby and Aladar Fleischman Faculty of Engineering, TAU: "Renewable Energy Innovation in Israel"
- Prof. Aldo Steinfeld, Institute of Energy Technology, ETH - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology: "Solar Hydrogen - Present and Future"
- Mr. Steven Chalk, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Renewable Energy, US Department of Energy: "Renewable Energy in the USA"
16:30 - 17:00 Break
17:00 - 19:00 Israel's Road to Energy Independence
Chair: Dr. Miki Haran, former Director General of the Ministry of Environment, Head of MBA Environmental Management Specialization, Ono Academic College
Greetings: MK Binyamin Ben Eliezer, Israel Minister of National Infrastructure,
MK Gideon Ezra, Israel Minister of Environmental Protection
- Mr. Hezi Kugler, Director General of the Ministry of Infrastructure, "Israel's Energy Independence: Long Term Policy"
- Major General (res.) Dr. Yom-Tov Samia, Director, Israel Corp. Green Energy: "Energy Independence: Economic Implications"
- MK Major General (res.) Prof. Isaac Ben-Israel: "National Security vs. Energy Independence in Israel"
- Prof. Zvi Galil, President, TAU
- Prof. Itamar Rabinovitch, former President, TAU
- Mr. Israel Klabin, President, Brazilian Foundation for Sustainable Development
- Prof. Hagit Messer-Yaron, Vice President for Research and Development, TAU
- Prof. Avi Kribus, School of Mechanical Engineering, Fleischman Faculty of Engineering, TAU
- Prof. Daniel Chamovitz, Chair, Department of Plant Sciences, Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, TAU
- Prof. Yehuda Kahane, Akirov Institute of Business and the Environment, Faculty of Management - Leon Recanati Graduate School of Business Administration, TAU
- Prof. Dan Rabinowitz, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Gordon Faculty of Social Sciences, TAU
- Prof. Yehuda Benayahu, Head, Porter School of Environmental Studies, TAU
- Dr. Ilan Sulieman, Public Utility Authority - Electricity
Conference coordinator: Ms. Anat Halevy, Director Public Relations, TAU firstname.lastname@example.org
Media Consultant: Ms. Orly Fromer, Director of Media Relations and Spokesperson, TAU